வெள்ளி, 23 செப்டம்பர், 2016

                                               Annamalai Polytechnic
       
                                Chettinad.

                                                 The Cradle of my career.
          Annamalai Polytechnic which was established in the name of Raja Sir Annamalai Chettiar is situated at Kanadukathan,Chettinad,old Ramanathapuram district.
                The polytechnic was running three basic courses viz.Civil, Mechanical and Electrical engineering.It started in 1956.
                       I passed SSLC in March 1958 and had applied for higher education in different colleges.The first interview came from Annamalai Polytechnic,Chettinad and I was admitted there itself.
              All infrastructures  were temporary.Many of the "Nakaraththars"residences were like a palace.so the classrooms ,hostels etc were all on these buildings.





                         The main polytechnic building in a big way was under construction.
          It was the first time in 16 years (my age )I left my parents,my village my friends,our cows,buffalos,goats and went to stay in hostel.The polychnic students were a conglamerated group consisting of village boys, town and ultra modern city like Madras boys.It was also different education background like SSLC,intermediate pass/fail,Pre university pass/fail and also few graduates.
               Intermediate course was removed and Pre University was introduced in 1957.
     Our hostel was in one such Residence as mentioned earlier.My self and about 15 boys were staying in a big hall.We were using our own bedroll and were sleeping on the floor.
                  The wokshop building and games ground was closure to the main building and the first year boys were to walk about 3 Km.
               The first year pass was compulsary to continue in the second year and the first year examination was Govt held one.
                    The first year result came in news papers and I had passed in first class.
           My second year course started in1959-60.we were moved closure to the main building but still accomodated in a palace like building only.I had plenty of time as I dont have to walk long distance for games. So I started playing all kind of games and also participated in sports.
               Our third year started in 1960 -61.I started playing Basketball for the Polytechnic in outside tournaments,The final exam was held in March 1961 and I was expecting  to be  one of the top scorer.
                  Some where in May -June 1961 I was called to Trichy for Elecricity Board superviser interview.On that day our results have come on the paper.shockingly I did not find my number.I was searching for my friends numbers.To my great surprise I did not find any of my friends numbers.
                     I was not in a mood to attend the interview.I came out and rang up my principal.He gave me another shock.
                  The  final year results of Annamalai Polytechnic is with held as large scale copying was suspected.The Directorate of technical Education Tamilnadu is planning for Re-examination shortly.
 All students are requested to come to the Polytechnic immedietly as refresher classes are starting.
                      I could not tell anything to any body.I reported to my polytechnic.The Principal was feeling very sorry for top ranking students like me.
                 The Re-Examination was to be held at Sheshasayee Polytechnic ,Ariyamangalam,Trichy with in one month.Since I dont want to face any of the people who brought disgrace to the polytechnic I left for Trichy.My sister house was near Ariyamangalam.
                 The Re-Examination was held as per schedule and after the exam I returned to my village.
Higher education or what to do in life did not worry me at all.We had lands and I love aggriculture .so I was busy with that.After about 20 days of the Re Examination in one late evening a friend told me that some re examination results had come that day morning news paper.
                    I ran here and there and got hold one torn bit of newspaper. 
                                I was wonderstruck to see my number in first class.
            Only 10 students out of 74 had passed and only 3 first classes,I was one of them.
          The next day onwards I was getting appointment orders from Govt departments appointing me as junior Engineer.
                 I did not get any exitement.I took all those orders to my elder brother.He adviced me to join PWD.On 15 Aug 1961 I joined at Pattukkottai.
                   Without knowing what is in store for me I left PWD  in October 1963 to join Officers Training School,Pune,to be commissioned as 2 L/T  in the INDIAN ARMY.

                           I had spent 30 years in uniform,participated in 1965 and 1971 war,graduated B.Tech
as first in the college of military Engineering.commanded an Engineer Regiment and India's Antarctic Research station Dakshingangotri commander and finally Additional Chief Engneer,chennai and retired in July1994 in the rank of Colonel.
                   Awarded wound Medal in 1965 war and Presidents Vashisht Seva Medal in 1994.







The destiny is great .kanadu kathan,kothamangalam.konapattu pallaththoor and places like solai Andavar koil etc still remains fresh in my mind.
               The Polytechnic had grown many fold.
           Inspite of my earnest I was not able to contact them .
               Will the institution knows that one of their student had grown multi dimention and was Leader of this Great country's expedition to bottom of the world Antarctica?

                                             Time will give the Answer.

Friends and well wishers can contact me
                            044-26163794
                             09444063794.





























1 கருத்து:

  1. ஒரு முறை பாலிடெக்னிக்கிற்குச் சென்றுவாருங்கள் ஐயா
    தங்களை அறிந்தவர்கள் இன்று அங்கில்லாவிட்டாலும்,
    மலரும் நினைவுகள் பலவற்றை அவ்விடம் தங்களுக்கு வாரி வழங்கும் அல்லவா

    பதிலளிநீக்கு